Chef Jason Hill shows how to use a grill box smoker. This box will turn your propane or gas grill into a temporary smoker. The box is used to hold wood smoking chips. Place the box over the burner to produce smoke flavored food.
Most smoker boxes come flat, so some grills can accommodate them. This video uses a triangle smoker box which fits down between the burner covers. If you buy one of these, be sure to measure between the burner covers to make sure the smoker box will fit.
To use the box:
1. Presoak wood chips for at least 30 minutes before adding them to the box.
2. Fill the smoker box a little over halfway.
3. Preheat your grill on high until it smokes when cover is opened. This will take about 20 minutes.
4. Place meat, chicken or fish on the grill and close the lid.
5. Cook slowly to soak up the smoke taste.